Bereavement Counselling and Education Center:
During office Hours: 905-527-3505, After hours: 905-387-4291
The Bereavement Education and Counselling Center provides bereavement counselling for youths, adults and seniors. The center specializes in helping those dealing with a sudden traumatic loss such as:
- Suicide or homicide
- Perinatal loss
- Child loss
- Motor vehicle accident
- Heart attack or stroke
- Those experiencing anxiety, depression or PTSD
Coping With Grief and Loss:
A free-of-charge weekly discussion series for anyone who has experienced a death of a family member or friend. These sessions are twice daily (from 9:30 am to 11:30 am and from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm) on Tuesdays.
Wee Kids Grieve 2
A bereavement support group for children. Each child attending this group will receive a colouring workbook written by Cheryl McQueen to assist them in their progress.
Widow to Widow
A telephone and information service for widows who feel the need of friendship. This is provided by widows who have repatterned their lives and understand the emotional and practical problems of widowhood. Round-the-clock support by telephone through times of crisis is available. The caller leaves her name and phone number with contact, and a support person will telephone the widow in need.
Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice Foundation
The Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice offers services for clients in their own homes, nursing homes, retirement homes and in a Day Hospice program. When requested, the Hospice will continue to support existing clients during any hospitalization. Services that are offered include:
- Respite care
- Social and emotional support
- Bereavement support
- Spiritual care
- Complimentary therapies through the Day Hospice Program
Wednesday programs from 9:30am - 1:30pm include: arts and creativity; gardening; meditation and relaxation; and support groups - lunch provided.
The Bereavement Support Program offers non-denominational memorial services, bereavement support and referral information.
Family Mental Health Support Network
Hamilton: 905-777-9921, Halton Region: 888 688-7777
The Family Mental Health Support Network is a resource centre that provides callers with information concerning:
- Mental health family support groups
- Self-help groups regarding mental health
- Community services and programs
- Mental health advocacy initiatives
- Family education opportunities
The service is also equipped with a 24 hr voice mail service - response is within 1 - 2 business days
Birthright helps solve problems related to pregnancy. It is a non-denominational, 24 hour emergency service for women distressed by pregnancy. Services include:
- Confidential counselling and supportive friendship of trained volunteers
- Maternity clothing and baby items up to size 2
- Free pregnancy tests
- Medical and community referrals
- Formula and baby diapers in an emergency
Salem Christian counseling service
905-528-0353, Mon - Fri 9:00am - 3:00pm
This agency is an interdenominational, non-profit organization offering professional counselling by Christian therapists. Counselling is provided to individuals (adult and child); couples; and families.
Talks and workshops are given on issues relating to personal and interpersonal development
Children’s Aid Society
After Hrs Emergency Service: 905-522-8053 4:30pm - 8:30am 7 days/wk
Office: 905-522-1121, After Hours: 905-522-8053
The Children's Aid Society of Hamilton is a government funded agency with a private board of directors serving children, adolescents and families.
Services provided are determined by the Child and Family Services Act and include the following:
- Counselling services to children under 16 years of age and their parents when there are protection issues
- Placement of children in individual and group home foster family settings, either with the consent of their parents or under order of the court, when the child is at risk in her/his own home
- Assistance to single pregnant girls regarding plans for confinement, their own future and that of their child
- Adoption placement of infants and older children who are legally and emotionally free for adoption
- Supervision, finalization of adoptions through the court and ongoing assistance to adoptive families
- Information Dissemination regarding "Duty to Report" suspected cases of child abuse and neglect through the Purple Ribbon Campaign
When Mom And Dad Separate
A support group for children facing divorce. Each child attending this group will receive a colouring workbook written by Cheryl McQueen to assist them in their progress.